'Top Gun 2' to start filming soon, Tom Cruise says

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 05:46AM
Actor Tom Cruise poses for photographers upon arrival at the premiere of the film 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' in London, Thursday, Oct. 20, 2016. (Photo by Vianney Le Caer/Invision/AP)KABC
SYDNEY - The Danger Zone may have gotten old and dusty, but Tom Cruise says he's about to fly back in.

The 54-year-old actor says the long-discussed sequel to "Top Gun" is a sure thing and should start shooting soon.

Cruise made the announcement Wednesday in response to questions from anchors on the Australian morning news show "Sunrise."


The actor said filming will likely begin within the next year. He added, "It's definitely happening."

Cruise has said in similar interviews that the film was in development and a strong possibility, but has not offered such clear confirmation.

The 1986 Reagan-era flyboy epic propelled Cruise to superstar status.

Jerry Bruckheimer, producer of the original, had been dropping hints too. He posted a picture of himself and Cruise on Saturday's 31st anniversary of the original's release.
(Copyright ©2017 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Outbrain