There's something about the hot fluid that tricks the body into thinking it's had more food, particularly one that has some fiber like black bean soup.
Add black beans, salsa, chicken broth, diced chili peppers along with chopped onion and garlic and you'll be sipping 245 calories, 10 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber. It's a south of the border sensation.
In the mood for an Asian soup? Go with a chicken or vegetable broth based noodle and smoked tofu combo along with soy sauce, sesame oil and veggies of choice. You'll have a 200 calorie bowl with 14 protein grams and 3 grams of fiber.
While many keep pumpkin around for Thanksgiving pie, canned pumpkin is perfect for soup with chicken broth, onion, apple sauce and ginger. Add a few slices of Canadian bacon for a chewy surprise.
If thick and stew-like soup is preferred, take a look at chunky white bean. Add one cooked chopped chicken breast to cans and bottles of northern white beans, a jar of salsa, chicken broth, chopped onion, and a little olive oil with a dash of something spicy like red pepper flakes. You've got a 380-calorie lunch with a whopping 38 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber.
So as you can see the combinations are endless. If you don't like these soups, the next time you're at the market, stock up on your own soup staples. Pick a little bean, little vegetable, and a little starch, so you can have soup anytime you want.
Since you asked, we delivered, here are the recipes!
SASSY SOUP RECIPES: There is no wrong way to do these, add as much or as little of the ingredients as you'd like.
BLACK BEAN SOUP:
- 1 Can black beans
- 1 can chopped tomatoes in their own juice (tomatoes with basil and other flavors also fun)
- 1 small can diced green chile peppers (non spicy)
- 1 small container of chopped onion or 1 small onion ( I like to sauté and soften them a bit with the garlic)
- 2 cubes frozen garlic or 2 cloves raw
- 1 container low sodium chicken broth
- 2 Morningstar Farms Meatless Sausage patties, crumbled (optional)
ASIAN TOFU/NOODLE SOUP:
- 1 container chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pkg. Udon or Soba noodles (found in refrigerator section)
- 1 pkg. Smoked tofu - cut into bite size pieces veggies of choice: snow peas /sliced red cabbage/mushrooms
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 T sesame oil
- 1 29oz. Can pumpkin (not pie mix)
- 1 container chicken broth
- 1 small container no sugar added applesauce ginger to taste (1-2 tsp)
- 2 pieces Canadian Bacon cut into bite size pieces
CHICKEN / BEAN STEW LIKE SOUP:
- 1 grilled chicken breast - cut up
- 1 can Northern White Beans
- 1/2 jar salsa
- 1 can chicken broth (14 1/2 oz. Size)
- 1 tsp. Dried red pepper flakes