They responded and soon after the situation appeared to grow worse.
"As this patient was transported away, another patient reported themselves as sick. They exhibited the same type of problem. Then there were two more. It started escalating like that. That is when we determined and got the story that there was as student that brought some medication to school. And it was passed out to several of their friends," said Batl. Chief Gary Clark from the L.A. City Fire Department.
There was a total of nine students that were transported to local hospitals. They all complained of similar symptoms: dizziness, tiredness and sweating.
"No body was in any real peril, per say. But anytime you are dealing with a minor and medications you do not know how a person is going to react, especially if it is not their medication," said Chief Clark.
The school was placed on lock down and the parents of the students involved were notified. Other worried parents became outraged when they learned parents were not allowed on campus to check on their kids.
"I have a young daughter who makes good grades and is a good student. I do not want her exposed to this kind of behavior at all," said concerned parent Lisa Davis.
Fire officials are not saying what kind of medication the students ingested, but they say that it was in pill form.
Meantime, LAUSD officials says that the district has a strict policy about medications on campus.
"Any student that has to take any type of medications per doctor's order has to go through the nurse's office. They bring the form with the doctor's orders. They give the medicine to the nurse's office and it is distributed at the office," said Myrna Bruttie from the LAUSD.
The policy was not followed on Monday.
"So this should be a lesson the kids should take very seriously because we were fortunate that there were no serious ill affects by this medication here today," said LAFD Medical Director Dr. Mark Eckstein.