- Latest news on this story
- Video: Riverside tornado 'like Cloverfield'
- Video: Riverside tornado viewed from freeway
- Video: Riverside tornado seen from golf course
- Video: Close encounter with tornado
- Video: Dueling tornadoes in Moreno Valley
- Video: Tornado touches down near Riverside
- Slideshow of today's extreme weather
- See It! Shoot It! Send It! Send your pictures
- Live Doppler for Riverside County
At approximately 5:40 p.m., weather spotters reported a funnel cloud over Interstate 15 near Lake Elsinore moving about 8 mph. A funnel cloud is the formation of the distinctive shape of the tornado that has not yet touched the ground.
A big-rig truck was overturned and a train was derailed reportedly by a tornado moving across Riverside County. Emergency personnel were on scene to assist the truck driver. The driver was reported as injured, his condition was unknown.
March Air Reserve Base was closed and the control tower was evacuated due to multiple tornado sightings.
Observers at March Air Reserve Base reported a tornado at 4:42 p.m. approximately four miles to the southeast of the base, moving at a roughly 10 miles per hour. There were multiple tornado sightings in the area.