Click in the Eyewitness News Story Window above to watch Lisa Hernandez's report from the scene.
Although it was a baby rattlesnake, authorities said it is still very dangerous, especially since the snake has no control over how much venom is injected.
The victim tried to drive himself to Centinela Medical Center, but apparently called 911 after a few minutes when he felt too bad.
Police could not believe what they found. They had to kill the snake at the location before transporting to confirm that it was a rattler.
"I've been doing this job for almost 20 years, and I've never seen a snake bit in Inglewood. The lesson is probably not to pick up a snake and transport it home," said Sgt. Matthew Hart of the Inglewood Police Department.
The victim is receiving anti-venom treatment and is recovering in stable condition. He denied an interview with Eyewitness News.