The first report in the New England Journal of Medicine finds this procedure is no more helpful in reducing pain than medicine and physical therapy.
About 1 million arthroscopic knee surgeries are performed in the U.S. each year. Each costs about $7,000.
Web Extra Information: Tips for protecting your joints from arthritis
- Lose weight. Excess weight stresses hips, knees and other joints; every pound lost reduces the load exerted on the knee for each step by 4 pounds
- Get active. Exercise strengthens the muscles around joints, which can prevent cartilage from wearing down
- Stay straight. Good posture protects the neck, back, hip and knee joints
- Don't sit still. Switching positions can decrease joint and muscle stiffness
- Lift carefully. Use your biggest and strongest joints and muscles when lifting or carrying to avoid straining smaller joints Break it up. Rest between periods of heavy activity to prevent repetitive stress on joints that can accelerate wear and tear
- Don't overdo it. Get help for any job that's too physically demanding and don't be a "weekend warrior" by jumping into sports your body isn't prepared to handle
The Associated Press contributed to this report.