• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Autumn thunderstorms pelt Southland

November 1, 2008 12:00:00 AM PDT
Halloween brought spooky weather to the Southland, including thunderstorms that caused flash flooding, freeway crashes and a fire. Debris flowing down a canyon scorched by a wildfire near Porter Ranch threatened a bridge, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

A flash flood warning for the area expired at 5:45 p.m. Saturday as the rain lightened.

In Chatsworth, a lightning strike ignited an unoccupied house near a fire station, causing $13,000 damage.

And near downtown Los Angeles, a thunderstorm echoed across the Memorial Coliseum, where a sell-out homecoming crowd was waiting for this afternoon's USC game against Washington. The weather did not affect the Trojans, who were leading the winless Huskies 42-0 at the end of the first half.

The California Highway Patrol reported numerous vehicle crashes that may have been weather-related, including on the westbound Ventura (101) Freeway, just west of Balboa Boulevard, where a Mercedes hit a concrete barrier.

A Ford SUV flipped over of the westbound Foothill (210) Freeway at Pennsylvania Avenue, and numerous spin-outs were reported on other routes.

As of 5 p.m., most of the rain had fallen in the mountains, where 1.63 inches was reported in Warm Springs, 1.02 inches at Whitaker Peak and 1.03 inches in Sandberg, according to the National Weather Service.

In the valleys, Newhall had .48 inches, and .68 inches in Del Valle, while Chatsworth had .2 inches and .18 in Van Nuys.

In the metro area, Santa Monica reported .12 inches and downtown Los Angeles .03 inches.

In the deserts, Lancaster saw .42 inches fall, and Palmdale had .22 inches.

There's a 70 percent chance of more rain tonight, dropping to a 30 percent chance on Sunday, according to the Weather Service.


Load Comments