• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Family poisoned by carbon monoxide

November 25, 2008 7:34:18 AM PST
Several members of a family are hospitalized Tuesday morning after being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.They had used a charcoal barbeque to heat their home, but someone woke up soon enough to call 911 at about 2:10 a.m.

Paramedics arrived at the home on 16000 block of Orizaba and found four people overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.

One 40-year-old woman, an 18-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy were rushed to the hospital.

It didn't take paramedics long to find the source of the fumes. A charcoal grill was in the kitchen that the family said it used to keep warm inside the house.

First responders said they see this a lot as the temperatures drop, and now, as the economy takes a downturn.

Some symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Tiredness
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Trouble thinking clearly
About 5,000 people are transported to hospitals every year, and 22 people die.

Residents can get a home carbon monoxide detector that costs anywhere from $30 to $50,


- Get more local news headlines from Los Angeles
- Have a news tip? Send your tips, video, or pictures


Load Comments