• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Workers sickened by moldy food in fridge

May 13, 2009 12:00:00 AM PDT
Seven employees were taken to the hospital Tuesday after a co-worker cleaned out moldy food from the office refrigerator.Firefighters evacuated the AT&T building in downtown San Jose after fumes prompted someone to call 911. Hazmat crews were called in after firefighters found a refrigerator crammed with moldy food.

Authorities say a worker had decided to clean out the refrigerator, placing the food in a conference room while cleaning with two chemicals.

About 28 co-workers became sick, and some had to be taken to local hospitals.

Surprisingly, the worker cleaning out the fridge did not get sick. She says she has no sense of smell because of allergies.

Report Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Most Popular
Follow @abc7 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments