Kohl's Department Stores offers periodic savings to seniors 62 and older. The store usually offers a 15-percent discount on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Check Kohl's weekly ads in the newspaper or online to find out when the discounts are offered.
Ross Dress For Less stores gives customers 55 and up a 10-percent discount every Tuesday.
If you're 60 and older, you can rent or buy movies from Hollywood Video for a 10-percent savings. The discounts are good every day.
If you want to see something currently in theaters, you can find discounts on select days at two theater chains.
Laemmle offers a cut-rate price of $4 per ticket every Wednesday for moviegoers 62 and over. The only catch is that the film has to start before 6 p.m. AMC theaters offer discounted tickets of $6 on Tuesdays at most of its locations if you're 60 and over.
If you travel, you can qualify for all kinds of discounts if you're a senior. At Southwest Airlines, you must be at least 65. Amtrak offers passengers 62 and up a 15-percent discount off the lowest rail fare on most of its trains.
The following major hotel chains offer savings to seniors:
- Hyatt: 50 percent off at participating hotels for those 62 and over.
- Marriott: 15 percent off for those 62 and over.
- Motel 6: 10 percent off to guests over the age of 60.
- Link: Senior Citizen Deals and Discounts
- Link: AARP Discounts and Services
- Link: Hollywood Video Store Programs
- Link: Laemmle Theatres Senior Discounts
- Link: Southwest Airlines Senior Passengers and Fares
- Link: Amtrak Passenger Discounts for Seniors
- Link: Hyatt Senior Citizen Travel Rates
- Link: Motel 6 Seniors
- Link: Holiday Inn Senior Discount Program Benefits
- Link: Natl. Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass