- Related: Michael Jackson's death certificate
- Related: Ticket for Jackson's memorial on eBay
- Link: Register for tickets to attend Jackson memorial
- Video: Michael Jackson rehearsing before death
- Blog: More entertainment at OnTheRedCarpet.com
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
The tickets will admit 11,000 people to the Staples Center plus 6,500 in the Nokia Theater overflow section next door. E-mail notices were sent out from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. At about 4 p.m. people started jumping on online announcing that they had received an e-mail.
"I'm in shock that it has happened," said Deka Motanya, 27, of San Francisco. "It's surreal." She received an e-mail message at 4:35 p.m. notifying her, "Congratulations, your application was successful."
She immediately Tweeted: "OMG OMG OMG OMG i got tickets to the michael jackson memorial service!!!"
For the other 1,591,250 registrants who will not receive tickets, city officials are urging them and everyone else to stay home and watch the memorial service live on TV or online, and not gather outside the arena.
Police officials say there will be what they call a hard closure around Staples Center on Tuesday. If visitors don't have a ticket, they won't even be allowed into the immediate area.
Officials said those steps are being taken to prevent ticket-scalping.
City Councilwoman Jan Perry said the cost of police protection for "extraordinary" events like the memorial is built into the Police Department's budget, but she still solicited help for "incremental costs."
Last month, donations covered about $850,000 of the city's $1 million cost for the Los Angeles Lakers' NBA championship parade. Critics had blasted the idea of using city money when it is considering layoffs to close its budget gap.
Jackson's family said they were also planning a private ceremony at the Forest Lawn cemetery in the Hollywood Hills. The family did not announce a date for the ceremony.
- Related: Read Michael Jackson's last will
- Video: Complete video coverage of Michael Jackson
- Video: Jackson rehearsing 2 days before death
- Video: Lottery for Jackson memorial tickets
- Video: Jackson fans rush to register for tickets
- Video: Crowd control for Jackson memorial
- Video: Where will Michael Jackson be buried?
- Video: Sedative found in Michael Jackson home