• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Toxic fumes in Irvine send 6 to hospital

November 4, 2009 10:40:43 PM PST
Six people, including four firefighters, ended up hospitalized because of a toxic spill inside an Irvine supermarket.Around 7 p.m. Tuesday night, firefighters were called to the Ralph's market at Alton Parkway and Jeffrey Road. They encountered a haze of toxic fumes and determined it was coming from a refrigerator unit that was leaking Freon.

But four firefighters and two other people quickly began to feel ill and were taken to the hospital. One firefighter sustained moderate injuries while the three other firefighters and two other people were treated for minor injuries. All are expected to recover.

The fire department cleared the scene early Wednesday morning using fans to air out the building, allowing crews to repair the leak.


Load Comments