• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Man sentenced for stabbing 2 at horror movie

ABC7 Eyewitness News HD covering Los Angeles and Southern California.

December 11, 2009 12:00:00 AM PST
An Anaheim man will have to spend the next 22 years of his life in prison for stabbing two people he didn't even know at a movie theater.Steven Walter Robinson Jr., 26, was sentenced Friday after being found guilty in September of attempted murder and two other felonies.

In February 2008, Robinson bought a ticket for a horror movie in Fullerton. He appeared agitated and aggressive when the security guard asked him to show his ticket.

He left the theater only to return ten minutes later to ask the concession cashier if someone had turned in a "baggie." Robinson also had a large cup which the security guard thought contained alcohol. When he wouldn't remove the lid, the guard told him he could not see the movie if he didn't comply. Robinson then got a refund for his ticket and left the theater once again.

Shortly thereafter, a box office cashier reported that a bag of hallucinogenic psilocybin mushrooms had been found. The manager then called police who responded to the theater.

About an hour later, Robinson was able to sneak back in and the security guard recognized him. He told the manager and police and while they were in the lobby, Robinson attacked two people inside the theater with a double sided knife-hammer weapon.

One of the victims, Julio Sanchez, suffered a permanent loss of mobility in his arm. The other victim, Eloy Uresti, suffered nerve damage. The two victims didn't know each other or Robinson.

Robinson was able to get away and he hid at his brother's apartment in Las Vegas, Nev. Nearly two weeks later, he was arrested and brought back to Orange County.

The investigation revealed that Robinson had several books on serial killers and his computer had postings from him to friends about killing and mass murder.


Load Comments