• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

San Pedro boy dies after choking on hot dog

February 4, 2010 12:23:45 AM PST
The death of a boy who choked on a hot dog during a game at a San Pedro Boys and Girls Club and later died has been ruled an accident.Each child was given a hot dog with whip cream in a bun. Officials said it was not a hot dog eating contest. Each child who could finish the unusual combination was to receive candy as a prize.

Noah Akers, 13, choked on the hot dog, and people tried to help dislodge the food. Paramedics arrived and were able to remove the blockage, but according to the Daily Breeze, Noah had gone too long without oxygen. He died on Monday at Miller Children's Hospital in Long Beach four days after the choking incident.

A coroner's investigator is calling the death an accident.

City News Service contributed to this story.


Load Comments