• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

90-year-old man rescued from house fire

February 21, 2010 12:00:00 AM PST
A 90-year-old man was rescued from a burning house in Norwalk on Sunday by his neighbors.The fire broke out at about 1 a.m. inside the elderly man's house on the 12000 block of Lowemont Street.

Rescuers at the scene treated the 90-year-old man, and then transported him to the hospital for smoke inhalation treatment.

When firefighters arrived on the scene flames were shooting out of the attic.

A neighbor says she heard a strange noise early Sunday morning. When she looked outside and saw smoke coming out of her neighbor's home she immediately went to try to help him.

She wasn't able to enter the home so she yelled for help. Her father and another neighbor rescued the elderly man.

"My neighbor grabbed his wheelchair, thinking that he was in the chair. But he wasn't in the wheelchair and my dad, I guess, touched him and pulled him," said neighbor Gladys Jimenez. "Then my neighbor grabbed him and they took him out."

Firefighters worked quickly to prevent the fire from spreading to the house next door.

Officials say it took 20 minutes to put out the flames. They believe the fire was started by a floor heater, but they are still investigating.

Fire officials say that the 90-year-old is doing fairly well considering the ordeal he went through.


Load Comments