The Deputy Attorney General for Quintana Roo state Rodolfo Garcia says that the TV producer is considered a suspect in this case, but he has not been charged with his wife's murder. They've summoned him for questioning with no luck. He was ordered to remain in Mexico, and his passport was taken away.
Mexican authorities had previously identified Eutiquio Salas as a lawyer for Beresford-Redman, but Salas said Saturday he was not representing the producer.
Beresford-Redman is suspected in the death of his wife, Monica Beresford-Redman. Monica's body was found in the sewer in the Moon Palace Resort on April 8. She had been hit in the head and her body showed signs of asphyxiation. Her husband reported her missing two days before her body was found.
Beresford-Redman claimed that Monica had left the resort to go shopping and never returned.
Monica's family has previously expressed concerns that Beresford-Redman might flee Mexico and they also thought the investigation was taking too long. Authorities say they're waiting for the results of forensic testing. Authorities are also requesting the aid of the U.S. Consulate on the Yucatan Peninsula.
Thursday, a judge in Los Angeles ordered a trial to determine who will get custody of the couple's two young children. For now, Bruce Beresford-Redman's parents have temporary custody, but Monica's sister is also seeking guardianship. A trial date has been set for June 19.
Monica's family released the following statement regarding the latest development in the case through their attorney, Alison Triessl.
"When the Burgos family learned today that Bruce Beresford-Redman cannot be located, our greatest fears about the investigation being conducted by the Mexican authorities were realized. For over a month, we have patiently waited for the Mexican authorities to take some action with respect to their 'only suspect.'
"We have now learned that he is missing. Now, more than ever, we beg of the Mexican authorities to accept the assistance that has been offered to them by the FBI. Monica Burgos is an American citizen who was murdered over one month ago in Mexico and she deserves justice. If Bruce Beresford-Redman has nothing to do with her murder, why would he be running?"
The FBI declined to comment on the case.
At the restaurant that Monica owned, bands took to the stage and patrons contributed to her memorial fund. A portion of the cover charge profits from Saturday night will go toward the fund.
There was extra security Saturday at the Zabumba restaurant in response to the latest news in Monica's murder case.
"It's very disturbing. No one is pleased about this news," said a friend of Monica's, John Smith.
Monica's funeral is planned for May 30.
AP contributed to this report.