• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Producer got life insurance before wife died

May 27, 2010 12:00:00 AM PDT
A new report says accused TV producer Bruce Beresford-Redman took out two life insurance policies on his wife, days before the couple's trip to Cancun, Mexico where she was later found murdered.Bruce Beresford-Redman is a person of interest in the murder of his wife, Monica Beresford-Redman.

The two were on vacation in Cancun with their children when Monica was found dead.

ABC News has learned that Bruce bought two life insurance policies for each member of his family, just days before their trip.

One policy from HTH Worldwide Insurance would pay $50,000 in case of accidental death while traveling.

The second policy from InsureMyTrip.com would pay a considerably higher amount of half a million dollars.

"It's going to poison any kind of public perception of him, which is a real problem," said trial attorney Mark Geragos. "If charges are filed, it certainly doesn't help his case."

It's been nearly two months since Monica's body was found in a sewer at a posh Mexican resort. She had been beaten and strangled. Several guests and workers at the hotel reported seeing Monica and Bruce argue the night before she disappeared.

Mexican investigators say Bruce had scratches on his face and arms, and Monica's sister Jeane Burgos said that when she last spoke with her the day before she was killed, Monica didn't sound happy.

"She always had a positive attitude. She never let herself down, and at that moment when I spoke to her, I really felt that her hopes were running out," said Burgos.

Mexican prosecutors are investigating the case as a homicide and say an indictment could come soon.

U.S. legal experts say Bruce's purchase of the insurance policies on Monica is yet another reason for Mexican authorities to charge him.

"You have an abundance of evidence starting from day one and with this new piece of evidence, it just makes it an even clearer picture," said former prosecutor Robin Sax. "It's looking like a slam dunk from the view of the prosecutor."

When Bruce was in Mexico, the custody of his two kids were given to his parents. A court hearing is slated for Friday to see if the parents will be allowed to transfer custody back to Bruce.

Though rumors surfaced that Bruce will be talking to the media soon, Bruce's attorney turned down those claims to Eyewitness News.

Your feedback is important to us! Please complete a brief survey so we may continue to improve abc7.com


Load Comments