• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Fireplace explodes, pelts Boston man w/bricks

August 7, 2010 12:00:00 AM PDT
A Boston man got a big surprise when a bolt of lightning struck a chimney, causing the fireplace to explode.Mark McConnel was house-sitting for a friend and was on the phone with the homeowner when the lightning bolt struck.

Bricks came falling down from the roof. The chimney shattered all the way down, tearing apart the walls of the bedrooms upstairs.

"The lightning went down and took all the bricks apart. Flying glass and everything else like that. I was hit in my leg by a brick as opposed to my head," said McConnel.

Thankfully, McConnell is OK. Inspectors have declared the house structurally unstable.


Load Comments