• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

SKorea cancels new artillery drill on island

November 29, 2010 12:00:00 AM PST
South Korea canceled plans for new live artillery drills on the island bombarded by the north last week.An official said the cancelation had nothing to do with North Korea.

The drills were postponed after the Marine unit on the island mistakenly announced them without getting final approval from high authorities. The official said the drills will take place later.

Similar live drills on the island Nov. 23 triggered a deadly attack by North Korea that same day. Four people were killed.

North Korea had called the drills a violation of its territorial waters and a deliberate provocation after Pyongyang urged South Korean officials not to carry out the exercises, and has warned of a "merciless" attack if further provoked.

In a nationally televised address Sunday, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak took the blame for failing to protect his citizens from the deadly attack. He vowed the North would face dire consequences for future aggression.

The canceled drills are not connected with joint South Korean and American drills taking place further south.

The Associated Press Contributed to this report.


Load Comments