• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Lawrence Taylor seeks dismissal in rape case

December 7, 2010 12:00:00 AM PST
Football legend and former "Dancing with the Stars" contestant Lawrence Taylor went before a New York judge to have his rape case dismissed on Tuesday. The 51-year-old Taylor is accused of having sex with a 16-year-old prostitute in a suburban New York hotel room.

He pleaded not guilty to third-degree rape and other charges.

Taylor's attorney argued that the case be dismissed because police did not have a warrant when they arrested him. The attorney also requested that statements Taylor made when he was arrested be excluded if the case goes to trial.

Taylor was arrested last May in his hotel room in Montebello for allegedly paying the Bronx girl $300 for sex.

The Rockland District prosecutor Arthur Ferraro had discussed a plea deal but the defense rejected that offer because of the 10-year mandatory probation sentence that goes along with it.

Both lawyers said they doubted a plea agreement could be reached before the pretrial hearing. Ferraro said Taylor had been offered a six-month jail term and 10 years probation if he pleads guilty to a felony. He would have to register as a sex offender.

Taylor will return to court on Dec. 23.

The Associated Press Contributed to this report.


Load Comments