• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Dog recovering from poisoned meatball

January 17, 2011 12:00:00 AM PST
A dog in the San Diego area is recovering Monday night after eating a poisoned meatball.Oreo, a 9-year-old beagle mix, is conscious and alert now. But he suffered seizures and was placed on a ventilator after eating one of several meatballs laced with strychnine, which is used in pesticides.

His owners' other two dogs didn't eat the meatballs tossed in the yard.

Oreo's owner, Jeannene Smith, says her dogs bark, but can't think why anyone would want to kill them.

"We've asked neighbors, are they bothering you, and they say no, they bark but they're doing their job," she said.

Friends are helping the owners cover Oreo's $10,000 vet bill.

Police are investigating and say five other dogs have been poisoned in the neighborhood in recent years.

Load Comments