Patrick Lynch has been running the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for 17 years, but that came to an end Tuesday when he resigned abruptly. Tuesday afternoon Coliseum commissioners voted unanimously to accept his resignation.
That comes after the commission learned that one of Lynch's top assistants was also being paid by a promoter of a controversial rave at the Coliseum last summer, where a 15-year-old girl died. Lynch had said previously that there was no conflict of interest in allowing his events manager, Todd DeStefano, to also work for Insomniac Productions.
Tuesday the Coliseum commissioners were to have discussed in a meeting the conflict of interest allegations. Instead, they were met with a resignation letter from Lynch, who did not attend Tuesday's meeting.
Commissioners say they want to move forward, and the question now is whether the raves will continue at the Coliseum, including the return of the Electric Daisy Carnival concert, set for June.
"I think it's regrettable. The whole set of circumstances is regrettable but necessary, and I think it's the time to move forward and get things cleaned up and take control of the business operations there in a way that benefits the public good," said Coliseum Commissioner Rick Caruso.
"I believe we can put on electronic dance festivals safely. I don't believe this is an appropriate time to do one," said Coliseum Commission President David Israel.
"I would challenge those who think raves are defensible and are appropriate to answer the question about the safety of those young people and the management of the use of illegal substances," said L.A. County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas.
Conflict of interests allegations remain under investigation by the L.A. County District Attorney's office, and the commission voted Tuesday to assign an interim director of the Coliseum, effective March 1.