Chris Brown was in court on Tuesday when Superior Court Judge Patricia Schnegg granted his request for a downgraded restraining order, according to The Associated Press.
The initial restraining order was issued in Brown's felony assault case against ex-girlfriend Rihanna that had kept him at least 50 yards from her except during public events. The restraining order remains in place, forbidding Brown from annoying, harassing or stalking Rihanna.
Donald Etra, Rihanna's attorney, told the judge his client did not oppose allowing the entertainers to be able to contact each other.
Brown is still on probation after pleading guilty to assaulting Rihanna in February 2009. The singer admitted striking his then-girlfriend in a rented car after leaving a pre-Grammy Awards party two years ago.
Brown was sentenced to five years of probation and six months of community service and was ordered by the courts to receive domestic violence courses for a year.
In December, Brown Tweeted a photo of a diploma from a domestic violence course and said "I'm done with class."
Earlier this month Rihanna's attorney confirmed that Rihanna requested the order be dropped to a level one, which would mean that the two could have contact as long as Brown doesn't annoy, molest or harass her.
The previous restraining order kept Brown and Rihanna from attending the same awards ceremonies because it limited the distance the former couple could be from each other. Both singers were nominated for Grammys this year.