• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Controversy spurs LA rave to move to Vegas

February 24, 2011 12:00:00 AM PST
The Electric Daisy Carnival rave concert event scheduled for June 24-25 at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum has been moved to Las Vegas, promoters announced Thursday. It was moved due to controversy surrounding the drug-overdose death of a teen at last year's event.

The event was controversial after multiple drug overdoses and the drug-overdose death of a 15-year-old girl last June. The drug Ecstasy was blamed for that fatality.

The Coliseum Commission imposed a moratorium on rave events at the venue pending further review. That ban was later lifted.

The event's producer, Pasquale Rotella, said in a statement that a contract with the Coliseum was not finalized, making it difficult to plan surrounding details.

"Without an executed contract in place at this time, it has become impossible to guarantee to all of the fans and talent that EDC can be produced at this venue this year," said Pasquale Rotella, CEO of Insomniac, the company that produces the event. "We are grateful for all of the events we've been able to produce at the Coliseum and Sports Arena over the years, and for the support of the fans, Los Angeles, the Coliseum Commission and everyone who has contributed to those events."

The Coliseum Commission faced further controversy when it was revealed that members may have had conflicts of interest with Electric Daisy Carnival personnel.


Load Comments