"Bob, Max, it's your da-da. I've never lied to you and this is another example of that, and I will see you soon. You're in my heart and I love you," said Sheen on Wednesday morning, relaying the message to his boys through TV cameras.
Tuesday night, Sheen's nearly 2-year-old sons, Bob and Max, were taken from the actor's gated Sherman Oaks home.
"I was told that a restraining order was being delivered and I thought, 'OK, I can deal with that,' and then it was revealed that there was something much more serious," Sheen said.
His attorney said it was Sheen's week to have the twins, and when officers served him with a court order, it was without any notice from Mueller or her attorneys.
"His reaction is not an emotional reaction," said Sheen's divorce attorney, Mark Gross. "It's an appropriate, measured reaction. He's dealing with this as a mature adult who is only interest is the best interest of his children."
Sheen said he did not understand why Mueller would want the kids removed from his care.
Mueller obtained a restraining order to keep Sheen away from her and their sons because she was afraid of violent comments the actor had made in recent days.
The restraining order, which was issued after Mueller filed claims of physical abuse and threats, prompted police to take Sheen's kids out of his care.
The court filing requires Sheen to stay 100 yards away from Mueller and their sons.
According to a sworn declaration filed in the case, Mueller said Sheen told her in a phone call Sunday night: "I will cut your head off, put it in a box and send it to your mom. And if you're having this conversation taped, then consider it done."
Sheen's recent behavior also played a part in Mueller's concerns about the welfare of her children. Sheen admitted that his behavior throughout his multi-day media blitz may have appeared odd, but he attributed that to his passion for getting things cleared up on the set of his show, "Two and a Half Men."
He said his main objective for all the media attention was to ensure the show's crew was taken care of after producers put the sitcom on indefinite hiatus last week due to the actor's off-set behavior.
Sheen said he still wants many questions answered by his CBS bosses.
"Going down the road, I don't know what's going to happen," said CBS President and CEO Les Moonves. "I hope it's back. We'll see."
Sheen spoke with Eyewitness News outside his home Wednesday morning about his desire to get the show's crew back to work.
"I'm not going to stop until what I think needs to be delivered is delivered, which is taking care of the crew for all eight (episodes), my cast and myself, and we'll talk about (season) nine and the adjustments that have to be made," Sheen said. "I lead with the truth and that's about it. The truth is unchangeable."
Warner Bros. has agreed to pay the "Two and a Half Men" crew for four of the eight canceled episodes. Sheen said that is a start, but he said he won't sleep until they get paid for all eight episodes. Sheen also said he's ready to return to work for the show's ninth season.
When asked if he was shaken up by his kids being taken away, Sheen said he will not let emotions get in the way of fighting to get the boys back.
"On a battlefield, it's emotion, ego and panic that get in your way. I profess that I don't live in those places and this is the time to exhibit and display the level of salt I have in my soul," Sheen said, adding that defeat was not an option.
Los Angeles family attorney Steve Mindel says it's now up to the courts to decide where the children will be the safest.
"When you hear his statements on television, they seem so dramatic and out of character with what the normal society is that a judge is going to be hesitant to give Charlie these children," Mindel said.
Sheen said that he plans to scale back the media attention and will work vehemently to get his children back in his care.
Sheen's attorneys said they hope to resolve everything out of court. If they can't meet a resolution, a custody hearing will take place in downtown Los Angeles on March 22.
The actor's fan base doesn't seem to be shaken by his recent outbursts.
Sheen's Twitter account, which he opened Tuesday, had reached more than 1 million followers by late Wednesday afternoon.
In an exclusive Eyewitness News poll by SurveyUSA, 51 percent of respondents said their opinion of Sheen had become unfavorable. Twenty-three said it was favorable and 26 percent were neutral or had no opinion.
When respondents were asked if Sheen should have full, shared or no custody of his twin boys, 45 percent said it should be shared. Forty said he should have none, eight percent said full and seven percent said they were not sure.
Asked if Sheen's show business career would be over or if he'd continue to work in Hollywood, 67 percent said he'd continue to work, 19 percent said his career is over and 14 percent said they were not sure.