When firefighters arrived on the 4800 block of Bentree Avenue, black smoke was seen coming from the home at 10:28 a.m. on Thursday. After the blaze was quickly knocked down, witnesses said firefighters raced out of the house with the dog in their arms.
The dog was gasping for breath, and at one point, became unresponsive, prompting firefighters to use all the resources they had. Authorities say a "canine resuscitator" was used to breathe life back into the dog.
"There was a group of about six firemen around the animal like they would a human being, and they were starting IVs, giving him oxygen. They put him on a heart monitor. I believe they gave him medication by IV," said witness Paulette Wellborn.
Wellborn said she was amazed to see the firefighters' efforts.
"I've owned dogs all my life, and I would wish something like that to happen to my dog if something happened to my dog," she said.
The dog was taken to an animal hospital and is said to be in good condition.
No one else was home at the time of the fire, and no other injuries were reported.