• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

OTRC: Lindsay Lohan rejects another plea deal in theft case

Actress Lindsay Lohan appears in an L.A. courtroom on Feb. 23, 2011, to face a felony grand theft charge involving a $2,500 necklace that was reported missing from a Venice jewelry store.

Lindsay Lohan has rejected another plea deal in a felony case involving the alleged theft of a $2,500 necklace, which could return the actress to jail.

"Ms. Lohan has maintained her innocence from the moment this case was filed and she has never wavered. Though many advised her to follow the safe route by taking 'the deal,' the truth is, Ms. Lohan is innocent," a statement from Lohan's Lawyer, Shwn Holley, said. "She has a strong defense; and we are confident that a jury will listen to the evidence fairly and acquit her."

The 24-year-old actress is scheduled to appear at a preliminary hearing on April 22, during which prosecutors are expected to present evidence against her and determine if there is enough to warrant a trial. Also, a judge is set to determine if she violated her probation stemming from a 2007 drunk driving case.

Lohan is accused of stealing the necklace from Kamofie and Co., a store located in the Venice area of Los Angeles on Jan. 22, three weeks after she was released from court-ordered rehab. She had in the past pleaded not guilty to a charge of felony grand theft.

Lohan had rejected a plea offer to settle the case earlier this month. The judge had said that the actress would be sent to jail for the fourth time if she accepts a plea deal. She had until Wednesday, March 23 to change her mind and her attorney Shawn Holley told prosecutors that Lohan would not accept such an offer.

Video footage that recently aired on the television show "Entertainment Tonight" showed Lohan texting on her phone, pacing and talking to a store clerk at the shore. She reportedly wore the necklace in question for about 25 minutes before a clerk escorted her out of the shop with a smile.

The Los Angeles Police Department issued a search warrant on Feb. 2 for Lohan's home to try to find the necklace, but it was returned to police before the warrant was served. The store plans to auction off the piece of jewelry and donate the profits to charity after the legal proceedings are over.

Lohan's three stints behind bars have each lasted 84 minutes, 14 days and 15 hours - the last of which occurred in September after she failed a drug test and wrote about it on her Twitter page.

The actress is also currently under investigation in Riverside County in an alleged battery case over a December altercation the actress had with a worker at the Betty Ford Center.

Her father, Michael Lohan, is also facing his own legal problems. On Wednesday, he was charged with misdemeanor domestic violence two days after he was arrested in Los Angeles for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend.

(Copyright ©2014 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments