• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

OTRC: George Clooney named as witness in Silvio Berlusconi's sex trial

George Clooney appears in a still from his 2007 film, 'Michael Clayton.' (Clayton Productions, LLC.)

George Clooney has been placed on the witness list in the high-profile prostitution trial of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

According to the Associated Press, Clooney, who spends a lot of time at his villa on Lake Como, Italy, was on the witness list because the actor was reportedly seen at one of Berlusconi's paries with his Italian girlfriend Elisabetta Canalis. But Clooney insists that he has only met the Prime Minister once.

"It seems odd since I've only met Berlusconi once and that was in an attempt to get aid into Darfur," Clooney said in a statement to OnTheRedCarpet.com

74 year old Berlusconi is accused of paying for sex several times with a Moroccan girl who goes by the name of Ruby, who was 17 years old at the time. Berlusconi then used his influence to attempt to cover-up the scandal and to get Ruby out of police custody for an un-related crime. The prosecution in the trial has named 136 witnesses, including Ruby (whose real name is Karima el-Mahroug) and 32 other women who were allegedly working as prostitutes during parties at the Prime Minister's villa.

Berlusconi's estranded wife Veronica Lario announced she was divorcing him in 2009, citing her ex-husband's involvement with young women. Berlusconi has denied the charges but the trial is set to begin in April 6 in Milan. He also faces two other trials relating to his business dealings.

Clooney and Canalis have been dating since 2009. The 49-year-old actor was previously married to actress Talia Balsam from 1989 until 1993. In January, Clooney told Piers Morgan that he has no intentions of getting married again.

"I hate to blow your whole news story, but I was married," said Clooney. "Yeah, so I've proven how good I was at it, and I just. ... I'm allowed one."

Clooney has been spending time in Cincinnati lately, filming scenes for his upcoming movie, "The Ides of March," which is slated for release in 2012. The actor is also directing and wrote the screenplay for the film, which is based on a play by Beau Willimon.

(Copyright ©2014 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)
Load Comments