• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Toddler served sangria at Florida Olive Garden

April 14, 2011 12:00:00 AM PDT
A toddler was mistakenly served alcohol at an Olive Garden restaurant in Lakeland, Florida.

Jill Van Heest says her 2-year-old was accidentally given alcohol. Instead of orange juice, Nikolai was given sangria wine.

Van Heest says the restaurant finally figured it out and came and took the drink away. But by then the toddler had already downed most of it.

"He was acting up. He was misbehaving. His eyes were bloodshot," said Van Heest. "How can you be so disorganized that alcoholic beverages could even get into a kid's cup, that you wouldn't know the difference?"

Nikolai was taken to the hospital, but is OK.

The company says it will now mix sangria individually to order, instead of in batches as it had before.

The incident comes after an Applebee's restaurant in Michigan accidentally served a margarita to a toddler.


Load Comments