It has been nearly two months since Warner fired actor Charlie Sheen from the show's eighth season, a move that followed the hard-living actor's bouts of wild partying, repeated hospitalizations and a bitter media campaign against his studio bosses who shut down production.
At the time, the company said it had not canceled the show and had not yet decided what to do with it.
Despite the turmoil Sheen has suggested that he might return to the show, a prospect the studio has flatly rejected. The actor had been among TV's highest-paid at a reported $1.8 million per episode for "Men."
CBS unveils its fall schedule on May 18. A company executive said whether the show is returning and who will make up the cast will be decided before that deadline.
Speculation has swirled about who might fill the void left by Sheen, joining Jon Cryer and Angus T. Jones in the cast that also features Holland Taylor. Some actors seen as potential candidates, including John Stamos and Rob Lowe, have indicated their interests are elsewhere.
Sheen is suing Warner and the show's executive producer for $100 million.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.