• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

OTRC: Nicolas Cage will not face charges from New Orleans arrest

Nicolas Cage appears in a photo provided by the New Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office on April 16, 2011. (Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office)

Nicolas Cage will not face criminal charges stemming from his arrest on April 15 in New Orleans, the actor's attorney confirmed to OnTheRedCarpet.com on Thursday.

"I can confirm that the charges were refused," said Harry Rosenberg, the actor's New Orleans attorney.

The District Attorney's office could not be reached for comment on the report.

The 47-year-old star was arrested on charges of domestic abuse battery and disturbing the peace for being intoxicated in public.

According to reports, police said the actor was "heavily intoxicated" while arguing with his wife. Cage allegedly dropped his 5-year-old son Kal-El during the argument and a child-abuse detective was called to the scene. No inquiry was launched at the time.

Cage has been married to his third wife Alice Kim for almost seven years. They have one son together, Kal-El, who was named after Superman's birth name.

A police sergeant said he first encountered Cage that night when he saw him on a street in the city yelling "She's trying to kill me!" and banging on vehicles. The policeman drew his taser to try and stop Cage from entering a taxi cab and was able to calm him down, but he then walked away, according to a police report, filed on Monday, April 25 and posted on RadarOnline.

A New Orleans police spokesperson confirmed the number of the report to OnTheRedCarpet.com.

The sergeant said Alice Cage approached him and identified the man as Nicolas Cage. Officers retrieved Cage and drove him to their residence at her request. She said that earlier in the evening, her husband had been drinking at a dinner they attended without their son. They argued as she drove Cage to a friend's house, where their child was staying.

She said they continued their spat after they retrieved the boy. She then drove to their rented residence and parked. Cage retrieved their child from the vehicle.

"At some point, Mr. Cage fell while holding their son," the report said. "The fall caused the 5-year-old to suffer a minor abrasion to his left knee and she then recovered the child."

The sergeant said he "observed a stain on Mr. Cage's left pant leg, near the knee."

A child abuse detective was called, the report said, adding that a detective was told of the incident and determined that "no further investigation was merited but if needed, a representative of the child protective service may be contacted and an investigation launched."

Cage was questioned by police about the incident. He continued to shout that he believed his wife was trying to kill him for half an hour, while officers tried to calm him down, the report said. He was placed under arrest due to his "manic state, level of intoxication, victim and witness statements" and because the sergeant believed that "had Mr. Cage remained on the premises, another incident may have occurred."

Following the incident, Cage spent a night in jail and immediately returned to work to film his latest movie, "Medallion." Executive producer Avi Lerner said in a statement obtained by OnTheRedRarpet.com last week, when asked about Cage's arrest: "We know he will weather this incident well. He has our total support."

Duane "Dog" Chapman, star of the reality show "Dog the Bounty Hunter," and his wife Beth Chapman posted Cage's $11,000 bail after his arrest and she later took to Twitter to drum up business for the couple's Bail Bond company.

Cage's most recent movies, "Season of the Witch" and "Drive Angry 3D" flopped at the box office. Cage won a Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1995 movie, "Leaving Las Vegas."

(Copyright ©2014 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments