Katie Couric is set to make her exit from CBS' "Evening News" on May 19, according to the Associated Press.
CBS announced her departure date on Friday, which is just shy of the June 4 expiration date on her contract. According to the wire service, the network also announced that "60 Minutes" correspondent Scott Pelley will take over as the new "CBS Evening News" anchor on June 6.
"I have decided to step down from the 'CBS Evening News,'" Couric, 54, told People magazine in an interview on April 26.
"I'm really proud of the talented team on the 'CBS Evening News' and the award-winning work we've been able to do in the past five years in addition to the reporting I've done for '60 Minutes' and 'CBS Sunday Morning,'" she added." In making the decision to move on, I know the 'Evening News' will be in great hands, but I am excited about the future."
Couric had said in April month that she hasn't ruled out staying at the "CBS Evening News" or launching her own syndicated talk show in 2012, as was rumored earlier in the month.
People quoted Couric as saying she is now "looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling," adding that details regarding a new show are "still being discussed."
Couric joined the "CBS Evening News" in September 2006, becoming the first woman to anchor a network television evening newscast by herself. Before that, she served as a host on the "Today" show, beginning in 1991.