Artie Lange, the comedian who was Howard Stern's former sidekick returned to radio this week and said that returning to "The Howard Stern Show" would be the "greatest thing ever."
"That would be the greatest thing ever, but listen, I was on the greatest show of all time for about nine years, and I put them in a very awkward situation, to say the least, so what am I going to do?" Lange said on Fox Sports Radio, Punchline magazine reports. "But I love them all and they were great to me."
Lange joined his friend and fellow comedian Nick DiPaolo on Fox Sports Radio, where he was guest-hosting for Tony Bruno. Lange answered questions from fans, who have missed the raunchy funny man since he went on hiatus from Stern's show in December 2010.
Lange left "The Howard Stern Show" after dealing with drug addiction and a suicide attempt. Lange told fans on Wednesday that he had been getting sober at a rehabilitation facility in West Palm Beach, Florida.
Lange has appeared on television series like "Mad TV" and discussed his drug use in his standup routines and book, "Too Fat to Fish."
Stern's other longtime sidekick Robin Quivers revealed in May that she would consider leaving "The Howard Stern Show" to host a TV show.
Stern's radio show airs on Sirius XM satellite radio and in March, the shock jock sued Sirius over a stock options agreement. In December, Stern signed a new 5-year deal with Sirius XM, which agreed to continue to broadcast his show and other programs on his Howard 100 and Howard 101 channels until the end of 2015.
Stern has been a radio host since the 1970s and his show has aired on television. He moved to satellite radio in 2006 following a dispute with terrestrial radio stations that had carried his syndicated show over alleged indecent programming, which led to Federal Communications Commission fines of $2.5 million.
Moments from his career and beef with the FCC and his then-boss were showcased in the 1997 comedy film "Private Parts". Stern has not disclosed his new salary that was promised in his new deal. His previous 5-year agreement had promised him $500 million.