• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Rejected movie script prompts Beverly Hills evacs

Several buildings and businesses in Beverly Hills were evacuated on Thursday due to a suspicious package.
August 11, 2011 12:51:05 AM PDT
A movie script that had been rejected provoked a bomb scare in Beverly Hills Thursday afternoon.

Authorities responded after a briefcase was found in an alley at Rodeo Drive and Little Santa Monica Boulevard just before 10:30 a.m.

Parts of Beverly Hills were shut down for two hours and some businesses were evacuated as the bomb squad pulled a suspicious device from a literary agent's office.

Turns out it wasn't a real bomb, but a briefcase with a computer inside and a screenplay a man wanted the agent to read.

Beverly Hills police say the screenwriter won't be charged with a crime. They wouldn't reveal his name, but they say he's been asking this agent for some time to read his work and left the briefcase when the agent refused to read it.

"It's very difficult to start out," said screenwriter David Mead."Unless you've done something, they don't want to talk to you."

Jeffrey Stolzfus and his writing group say they can relate to the screenwriter.

"I'd say he's not alone, probably not the only person to think of this," said Stoltzfus. "It's a very desperate world without being too sad about it."

But his attempt may become a new plot line.

"This itself sounds like a really good story," said screenwriter Kevin Snyder. "We'll see if we see this in the movie theaters in the next couple years."


Load Comments