• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Strauss-Kahn prosecutors file to drop charges

August 22, 2011 12:00:00 AM PDT
Prosecutors in New York have filed papers recommending some or all charges in the sex assault case against former International Monetary Fund leader Dominique Strauss-Kahn case be dropped.

His accuser, Nafissatou Diallo, and her lawyer met with prosecutors briefly on Monday. Diallo claimed the 62-year-old sexually assaulted her in May at a Manhattan hotel where she worked as a maid.

However, due to doubts over Diallo's credibility and lack of evidence, it had been widely expected that prosecutors would announce plans to reduce or drop the charges.

Mondays' filing was not immediately made public, and details weren't released.

  • Prosecutors said July 1 they'd found the maid had told them a series of troubling falsehoods, including a persuasive but phony account of having been gang-raped in her native Guinea. She said she was echoing a story she'd told to enhance her 2003 application for political asylum. She told interviewers she was raped in her homeland under other circumstances and embellished it to get herself and her 15-year-old daughter a chance at a better life in the U.S.
  • She also wasn't consistent about what she did after her encounter with Strauss-Kahn, telling a grand jury she had hovered in a hallway when she actually returned to his and another room before consulting her boss, prosecutors said. She said the alleged discrepancy was a misunderstanding.
  • Furthermore, she had alluded to Strauss-Kahn's wealth in a recorded phone conversation with a jailed friend, and her bank account had been a repository for tens of thousands of dollars she couldn't explain, a law enforcement official has said.
  • She said the jailed man had used the bank account without telling her. As for the phone call, her lawyer, Kenneth Thompson, said she mentioned Strauss-Kahn's money only to say that her alleged attacker was influential.

Prosecutors are likely to ask a judge to dismiss the charges on Tuesday at Strauss-Kahn's next court date, bringing a formal end to the case.

Meanwhile, Diallo sued Strauss-Kahn Aug. 8, seeking unspecified damages and promising to air other allegations that Strauss-Kahn accosted and attacked women in other locales.

His lawyers called her suit a meritless claim that proved she was out for money. Diallo said she was standing up for herself and other women.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Load Comments