• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Gang member pleads not guilty for toddler shooting

Authorities announced on Thursday that an arrest was made in the shooting death of a 3-year-old in San Bernardino.

September 16, 2011 12:00:00 AM PDT
The gang member charged in the shooting death of a 3-year-old in San Bernardino pleaded not guilty to murder charges on Friday morning.

Brandon Taray Barnes, 19, is facing one count of murder and seven counts of attempted murder for the shooting that left Nylah Franco-Torrez dead. A pregnant woman and her daughter were also injured.

"He is a coward because he didn't care who was outside. He had to have seen the children out there, but he didn't care," said Sophia Cardona, a relative of one of the victims.

Authorities say Barnes was retaliating against the husband of the pregnant woman. He had confronted Barnes earlier in the day after he saw him hitting a woman outside a market.

"This individual is looking, as we speak today, at 305 years to life. I make a commitment he will never come out to harm another citizen in this county again," said San Bernardino County District Attorney Michael Ramos.

The family is trying to raise money for funeral services for Nylah. If you would like to donate to the Nylah and Justine Memorial Fund, you can mail or walk into a First Valley Credit Union.

Load Comments