• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

OTRC: Elisabetta Canalis defended by George Clooney

George Clooney and Elisabetta Canalis have broken up after dating for about two years, the two said in a statement to OnTheRedCarpet.com on June 22, 2011. The reason for the split was not made clear. Clooney and Canalis, a 32-year-old Italian actress who appeared in the 2005 comedy film 'Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo,' were seen together in public in Italy a week before their breakup was announced and celebrated the actor's 50th birthday in Los Angeles in May, People magazine reported. Clooney, once dubbed People magazine's sexiest man alive, and Canalis first stepped out together in September 2009. They also attended the 2011 Academy Awards together. The actor has been previously linked to Sarah Larson, a Las Vegas cocktail waitress and former winner of the reality show "Fear Factor." The two dated from 2007 to 2008. Clooney was also married to actress Talia Balsam from 1989 until 1993. The actor said on the CNN show "Piers Morgan Tonight" in January that he had no intentions of marrying again. Clooney has also expressed his disinterest in becoming a father. Canalis told the Italian edition of Cosmopolitan magazine in an interview published in February that she had no plans to have children. (Pictured: Best Actor nominee George Clooney and girlfriend Elisabetta Canalis walk the red carpet before the 82nd Academy Awards on March 7, 2011.)

Elisabetta Canalis has had a rough week after being booted off of "Dancing With The Stars" and being accused of sending her ex-boyfriend George Clooney nasty test messages.

But the "Ides of March" actor stood up for Canalis, denying reports that she had lashed out at him for moving on with his new girlfriend, Stacy Keibler.

Us Weekly claimed that the 32-year-old Italian actress and model had been angered over Clooney's swift turnaround but Clooney told the entertainment site TMZ that the story was "completely fabricated in order to sell magazines. I never comment on my personal life unless it affects others... and this lie affects others."

"Since I would be the only actual witness, I ask you to correct your story immediately, but that would assume you cared at all about telling the truth," Clooney continued.

Canalis, who was eliminated from ABC's hit dancing competition series on Tuesday, told OnTheRedCarpet.com that the experience had been a "gift."

"This was a competition so you accept this fact," Canalis told OnTheRedCarpet.com after Tuesday's results show. "It's okay. We are out but for me, it was a gift."

The two earned 21 points out of 30 for their Quickstep on Monday. Their score was not the lowest among the other 11 contestants during Monday's performance episode. Chaz Bono and partner Lacey Swimmer were on the bottom of the leader board, earning 17 out of 30 points for their Quickstep (read a recap of the episode).

An OnTheRedCarpet.com poll posted on Monday showed both pairs are the most likely to be eliminated from the ABC ballroom dancing show.

Clooney is currently dating former WWE star Stacy Keibler and the two stepped out together at the Toronto Film Festival earlier this month, where the actor was promoting "Ides of March," which is slated for release on October 7 (see photos from the event).

(Copyright ©2014 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments