• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Ala. dog recovers after swallowing flag post

September 30, 2011 12:00:00 AM PDT
A puppy in southern Alabama bit off a lot more than he could chew when he swallowed a miniature flag post.

Blue, a 12-week-old pit bull in Mobile, Ala., somehow got a hold of the post and began chewing on it.

It got caught in his mouth and Blue's natural gag reflex caused him to swallow it. Blue's owners immediately took him to a local veterinarian who removed the post.

"He's already eating again and as a matter of fact, I imagine he's ready to swallow something else," said Dr. Chris Rehm with Rehm Animal Clinic.

Blue needed rest, but he was alert and active in no time.

The veterinarian said in his 30-year career, he's seen dogs swallow bed linens, cuff-links, watches and all kinds of things, but never has he seen a dog swallow something so long.

Load Comments