• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

San Diego freeway shooting spree suspect found in LA

Enrique Ayon

October 4, 2011 12:00:00 AM PDT
A man suspected to be involved in a freeway shooting that wounded one person in the San Diego area has been arrested in the San Fernando Valley.

Authorities say a man was taken into custody on alongside the 210 Freeway at Osbourne Street in the Lake View Terrace around 10 a.m. on Tuesday.

The California Highway Patrol identified a person of interest earlier Tuesday as 24-year-old Enrique Ayon, the owner of the vehicle involved in the shooting spree.

The white 2006 Chevrolet Malibu was registered in Lancaster. Electronic signs with the license plate number were posted throughout the state.

A person driving a car that matched the vehicle description has been taken into custody, but it has not been confirmed if that person was Ayon.

The shooting took place at four locations in the San Diego area Monday morning. Two cars and an ambulance had bullet holes in them, and shots were fired at a CHP cruiser.

A vehicle, carrying at least two men, had been involved in a hit-and-run collision on East San Ysidro Boulevard shortly before the shooting spree began, San Diego Police Department Lt. Darryl Hoover said.

The seemingly random drive-by gunfire began about 10:30 a.m., starting on northbound Interstate 805 near East Plaza Boulevard in National City, according to San Diego police.

A short time later, a shooting on Interstate 805 at Mesa College Drive injured a 26-year-old man, Hoover said.

Within the next 15 or so minutes, gunfire again erupted on Interstate 805 near state Route 163 and on northbound Interstate 5 near Del Mar Heights Road, according to officials.

Northbound Interstate 805 was shut down for several hours as investigators combed the roadway for clues after a man was shot in the leg there.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Load Comments