• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

OTRC: Conrad Murray trial: Michael Jackson's slurred voice heard in longer recording, singer says: 'I had no childhood' (Audio)

Oct. 5, 2011: Conrad Murray appears between his attorneys, Ed Chernoff (bottom) and Michael Flanagan at his involuntary manslaughter trial. They are pictured while a recording of a voicemail Michael Jackson's manager, Frank DiLeo, left on Murray's iPhone is played. DiLeo said the singer was ill and referenced a June 19, 2009 'episode.'

Speaking in a deeply slurred and barely audible voice, Michael Jackson told his personal doctor, Conrad Murray that "God wants" him to help ailing children, adding that he loves them because he "didn't have a childhood" according to a recording the physician is said to have made on his iPhone a month before the singer's death.

The audio was played at Murray's involuntary manslaughter trial on Wednesday, October 5. It is a longer version of a recording heard on the first day of the proceedings, on September 27.

NOTE: You can watch the proceedings online: OnTheRedCarpet.com is hosting a LIVE STREAM of the Conrad Murray trial, which began on September 27.

Below is a transcript of the recording, which was made on May 10, 2009 at 9:05 a.m., as presented to the jury. (Listen to the audio recording of Michael Jackson speaking in a slurred voice to Conrad Murray):

"Elvis didn't do it. Beatles didn't do it. Beatles didn't do it. We have to be phenomenal. When people leave this show, when people leave my show, I want them to say, 'I've never seen nothing like this in my life. Go. Go. I've never seen nothing like this. Go. it's amazing. He's the greatest entertainer in the world.'"

"I'm taking that money, a million children, children's hospital, the biggest in the world, 'Michael Jackson's Children's Hospital.' Gonna have a movie theater, game room. Children are depressed. The - in those hospitals, no game room, no movie theater. They're sick because they're depressed. Their mind is depressing them. I want to give them that. I care about them, them angels. God wants me to do it. God wants me to do it. I'm gonna do it, Conrad."

Murray then tells Jackson: "I know you would." Jackson then continues speaking.

"Don't have enough hope, no more hope. That's the next generation that's gonna save our planet, starting with - we'll talk about it. United States, Europe, Prague, my babies. They walk around with no mother. They drop them off, they leave - a psychological degradation of that. They reach out to me - please take me with you.'"

Murray responds with: "Mmnh-mmnh." Jackson adds: "I want to do that for them."

Murray says "Mmnh-mmnh" again.

"I'm gonna do that do them," Jackson continues. "That will be remembered more than my performances. My performances will be up there helping my children and always be my dream. I love them. I love them because I didn't have a childhood. I had no childhood. I feel their pain. I feel their hurt. I can deal with it. 'Heal The World,' 'We Are The World,' 'Will You Be There,' 'The Lost Children.' These are the songs I've written because I hurt, you know, I hurt."

There is then 13 seconds of silence. Murray asks the singer, "You okay?"

Another eight seconds go by and Jackson says: "I am asleep."

Jackson's brothers Randy and Jermaine, sister Rebbie and her daughter Yashi, and his mother's assistant were inside the court as the audio recording was played. The singer's family members read along with the transcript presented to the jury on a screen, but did not appear to express a lot of emotion, OnTheRedCarpet.com has learned.

Jackson has been a professional singer since he was a child, singing with his brothers in the pop group the Jackson Five. The father of three has continuously supported charity efforts to help ailing children. He was famously accused of child molestation in 2005 and was found not guilty. A Los Angeles judge said in August that witnesses in Murray's trial cannot testify about that case.

Autopsy results have shown that Jackson died at age 50 on June 25, 2009 from an overdose of the anesthetic propofol, which he called his "milk," and other sedatives. The King of Pop had suffered a cardiac arrest at his home and was officially pronounced dead at a hospital. Murray said he gave Jackson a dose of propofol as a sleeping aid on the day he died. He has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter.

Murray faces up to four years in prison and the loss of his medical license if convicted. The doctor's lawyers maintain that Jackson drank propofol and consumed other medications on his own while the doctor was away from his bedside, that the dose of propofol Murray had administered was too low to be fatal and that he was trying to wean the singer off the drug.

Prosecutors want to demonstrate the effect propofol had on Jackson as he prepared for his comeback "This Is It" tour - a series of 50 concerts that were to take place at London's O2 arena.


Also played during Murray's trial on Wednesday was a voicemail Jackson's manager, Frank DiLeo, left on the doctor's iPhone on June 20, 2009 - five days before the singer's death. DiLeo, who died himself this past August, had told Murray that Jackson was ill and "had an episode" on the night of June 19, 2009, adding: "I think you need to get a blood test on him. We need to see what he's doing."

Listen to the voicemail Michael Jackson's manager left on Conrad Murray's iPhone.

Jackson's co-directer, Kenny Ortega, had testified last month that the singer appeared unwell at a rehearsal in Los Angeles that day.

"My friend wasn't right," Ortega said. "There was something going on that was deeply troubling me. He was chilled. He appeared lost. Just sort of lost and a little incoherent and although we were conversing and I did ask him a question and he did answer me. I did feel though that he was not well at all."

Jackson did not rehearse that day and left early, at Ortega's suggestion. The co-director said Jackson resumed rehearsals on June 23 and on June 24 and appeared energized.

Murray had told doctors and paramedics who tried to revive Jackson on the day he died that he was treating the singer for exhaustion and dehydration.

The start date of the "This Is It" tour was postponed and promoters had said at the time Jackson needed more time to rehearse. Some news outlets said the singer was battling skin cancer and other ailments, such as anorexia. The reports were not confirmed but raised concern among those involved in the tour.

Emails retrieved from the doctor's iPhone were presented to the jury on Wednesday and showed that Murray had been in contact with a London insurance broker and said in an email he sent on June 25, 2009 at 11:17, less than an hour before 911 was called to Jackson's home, that "statements of (Jackson's) health published by the press .... are all fallacious to the best of my knowledge."

The broker had wanted to confirm that Murray was Jackson's only doctor since 2006. Murray had also told him that the singer would not authorize the release of his medical records.


Following Jackson's death, investigators retrieved several medical substances and medical equipment in the bedroom where he was found as well as from a nearby closet. Elissa Fleak of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office on Wednesday testified about what she recoved, which included several bottles of propofol (see photos of the evidence presented to the jury). She confirmed that she took a photograph of Jackson on a gurney after he was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The photo was presented to the jury when the trial began on September 27 and shown again on Wednesday, during which the singer's brother, Jermaine, whispered: "Oh my God, oh my God, I canot breath, oh my God" as his niece held his hand.

Murray was married at the time of Jackson's death. On Tuesday, October 4, the jury heard from his girlfriend, Nicole Alvarez, the mother of his son, who was born in March 2009. She said that during the month before Jackson's death, the doctor ordered packages to be delivered to her apartment. Prosecutors say they contained propofol meant to be used on the King of Pop.

A pharmacist from Las Vegas, Tim Lopez, testified that Murray ordered 255 vials of propofol and other drugs, including anti-anxiety agents, Lidocaine and Benoquin, to be delivered to that address. Prosecutors say they were sent to Alvarez's home.

On Wednesday, Sally Hirschberg from Sea Coast Medical, a pharmaceutical company, testified that in April 2009, Ng, the medical volunteer at his Las Vegas office, talked to her over the phone about an order that raised a "red flag" because it was to be shipped to a residential address in California.

Hirschberg said she declined the request, adding that all previous orders had been shipped to Murray's Las Vegas office, and that this one and future orders continued to be sent there.

Invoices presented to the jury show that between April and June 2009, Murray's office ordered from Sea Coast Medical supplies such as infusion and IV administration kits, syringes, an Ambu bag, catheters - including condom catheters, and Lidocaine an anesthetic and antiarrhythmic drug often used to numb an injection area. Murray's attorney pointed out that the doctor had ordered IV administration sets as far back as October 2007.

Was it unusual for company to order Lidocaine?' Hirschberg was asked, to which she responded: 'Not unusual, just not a lot.

She added that on June 26, 2009, the day after Jackson died, Ng spoke to her by phone around 9:26 p.m. and asked to cancel an order for condom catheter bags. Jackson had worn such a device, which is used to collect urine, on the day he was found dead.

Don't forget: In addition to supplying you with full details about the case, OnTheRedCarpet.com will provide a live stream of the Conrad Murray trial, Monday to Friday, from 8:45 a.m. PT / 11:45 a.m. PT. The judge has said it is set to end on October 28.