• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

OTRC: Conrad Murray trial: Michael Jackson's daughter Paris told me 'I know you tried your best,' doctor says

Oct. 11, 2011: Conrad Murray appears at his involuntary manslaughter trial and listens to the second part of his interview with police detctives as it is played to the jury.

Conrad Murray says Michael Jackson's daughter Paris told him she "knows" he "tried his best" to save her father after he was pronounced dead, adding that the singer's mother "broke down" upon learning about the news.

The doctor made his comments to police detectives following the singer's death. A recording of his interview with them was played at his involuntary manslaughter trial on Tuesday, October 11.

NOTE: You can watch the proceedings online: OnTheRedCarpet.com is hosting a LIVE STREAM of the Conrad Murray trial, which began on September 27.

Autopsy results have shown that Jackson died at age 50 on June 25, 2009 from an overdose of the anesthetic propofol, which he called his "milk," and other sedatives. The singer had suffered a cardiac arrest at his rented Los Angeles home and was pronounced dead at a hospital at 2:26 p.m. that day.

Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter. Murray faces up to four years in prison and the loss of his medical license if convicted.

Murray quoted Jackson's daughter as telling him at the hospital, "Dr. Murray, you said you save a lot of patients. You know, you save people with heart attacks and you couldn't save my dad."

He said he told her, "I tried my best," to which she responded, according to him, "I know that, Dr. Murray. At least I know. I know you tried your best. But I'm really sad. You know, I will wake up in the morning and I won't be able to see my daddy."

Murray, a cardiologist who had administered drugs to Jackson on a nightly basis to help him sleep, had tried to revive Jackson at his home. Paramedics later arrived and also tried to save Jackson there. Two have testified that the singer appeared lifeless. Murray insisted they taken him to the hospital and rode with the singer in the ambulance. He described to detectives how his mother, Katherine, reacted when she arrived later.

"The doctor started to tell her that, you know, her son came in and he was having difficulty breathing and they tried everything," Murray said. "And she said, 'Well, how is he? He's not dead, is he?' And the doctor said, 'Yes.' And she broke down. We stayed there, held her hand. The doctor left. I stayed. I asked for the social workers to come in, or psychologist, whichever the hospital had. They brought the social team."

Jackson's family members have not commented about the doctor's remarks.

"My next question was 'Where are the children?'" Murray added. "I was not aware that the children were brought to the hospital. (I) decided the children had to be made aware of the condition, and they needed to know."

Jackson's children, Prince, Paris and Blanket, were driven to the hospital by one of the singer's security guards, who followed the ambulance carrying their father. Murray said the three were taken to a room and given food. He said that after Jackson was pronounced dead, he walked inside with the singer's personal assistant, Michael Amir Williams, manager Frank DiLeo and a social worker.

"Somehow or the other, they asked the questions and the children found out that Daddy wasn't doing well, that he had passed away," Murray told detectives. "And then they really were weeping, really weeping. I stayed there. I hugged them all."

"They cried and cried and cried," the doctor said. "Then, his daughter uttered a lot of words of unhappiness and, you know, she will live alone without her dad and she didn't want to be an orphan. Real sad, real sad. She's like my daughter. And I told her, you know, we would take care of her, also."

The children were eventually taken to see Jackson's body, he said, adding: "They spent a long time with the family, with their dad."

Jackson's mother and other relatives have shown up to court to watch Murray's trial. His children have stayed away.

Over the weekend, they made a rare public appearance, appearing on stage at a memorial concert for their father in Wales, which also featured performances from the singer's brothers and former "Jackson Five" members as well as Christina Aguilera. (see photos from "Michael Forever: The Tribute Concert")

Murray also said that he "recommended an autopsy" be performed on Jackson to determine the cause of death and asked that the singer's body be made "as presentable as possible."

Murray said that the family was soon joined at the hospital by Jackson's brother Jermaine, his sister la Toya and several cousins and that he "held their hands." The singer's mother, he said, did not want to see her son's body. His father, the doctor said, never showed up. Jackson had always had a strained relationship with his father.

Also on Tuesday, a censored photograph of Jackson's naked dead body lying on an an autopsy table was shown to the jury, marking the first time such a graphic picture had been made public.

The man who performed the examination, forensic pathologist Christopher Rogers, testified that the results of the autopsy he performed showed that Jackson died of acute propofol intoxication, combined with the effects of lorazepam and the sedative midazolam. The cocktail of drugs affected Jackson's breathing and cardiovascular activity, leading to his death.

Murray's lawyers have suggested the singer drank the drug and also swallowed several pills of the anti-anxiety agent lorazepam while the doctor was away. Rogers testified that no traces of propofol were found inside Jackson's mouth and no pills or capsules were located inside his stomach.

Rogers also testified that at the time of his death, Jackson was 5'9" and weighed 136 pounds. The singer suffered from conditions such as an enlarged prostate, the skin disease vitiligo, chronic inflammation and scarring in his lungs and arthritis and also possessed an extra rib. Jackson's scalp was also discolored, due to a 1984 Pepsi commercial shoot, during which his hair caught on fire.

(Check out what else Murray told detectives about Jackson regarding his history with propofol and other details about his health, as revealed last week.)

Don't forget: In addition to supplying you with full details about the case, OnTheRedCarpet.com will provide a live stream of the Conrad Murray trial, Monday to Friday, from 8:45 a.m. PT / 11:45 a.m. PT. The judge has said it is set to end on October 28.