• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Fallen Rancho Cucamonga soldier laid to rest

The remains of Sgt. Carlo Eugenio returned to the Inland Empire Thursday after he was killed in Afghanistan Oct. 29.
November 14, 2011 12:00:00 AM PST
An Army National Guardsman from the Inland Empire was laid to rest on Monday. Sgt. Carlo Eugenio of Rancho Cucamonga made the ultimate sacrifice while fighting in Afghanistan.

Family, friends and members of the community gathered to celebrate the 29-year-old's life at St. Peter and St. Paul Parish Church.

Eugenio was killed last month after his NATO convoy that he was leading was hit by a suicide bomber. He is the first California National Guardsman killed as a result of enemy action in Afghanistan.

His remains arrived in Ontario last week from Dover Air Force Base.

Many of his friends said that he will be remembered as a daredevil who loved the outdoors and great adventure.

"It was hard to be in a bad mood around Eugenio," said Sgt. Randy Arambula. "He was always smiling, the big smile that he had. Anybody had any problems, they would just go to him, talk to him, and he would make the gloomy day the brightest day."

"Now you look at him as more than just a soldier, you become like brothers," said Sgt. Daniel Avalos.

Eugenio's remains were escorted to the Riverside National Cemetery where he was laid to rest.

Load Comments