The house is located on the 18300 block of Villa Clara Street.
Firefighters responded to a report of smoke billowing from the empty house just before 11 p.m. on Monday. When they arrived, crew members knocked down the fire and then found several hundred pot plants.
"There's a lot of electrical equipment involved here," said Bat. Chief Joel Harrison from L.A. County Fire Dept. "They've done an illegal bypass of the electrical needle and in addition to that there's a probable chance that the electrical demand and overload of the wiring caused this fire."
One firefighter was taken to the hospital with nausea due to heat exposure, and is expected to be all right.
L.A. County sheriff's deputies were called to the scene. No arrests have been made.