• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Static electricity sets car on fire at gas station

January 5, 2012 12:00:00 AM PST
A woman in Oklahoma City found out that the signs at gas stations warning about static electricity aren't a myth. A static spark set her car on fire.

Crews say the woman was filling her car with gas. She got inside of her vehicle to stay warm, which created the static electricity.

When she got out and touched the pump, the fire sparked.

The manager on duty rushed to help. The woman wasn't seriously hurt.

"She came in, she yelled that her car was on fire," said gas station manager Luke Huynh. He said both her tires blew out, and her windows were blown.

Getting in your car is the main way to create the static that can potentially cause a spark. Fire crews say touching something metal before you touch the gas pump can help prevent fires from happening.


Load Comments