A man accused of stalking and making threats against Selena Gomez recently had his restraining order extended for another three years - and he has signaled that he is OK with it.
A Los Angeles judge had in November dismissed a criminal stalking charge against Thomas Brodnicki, 46, but ruled that a temporary civil restraining order issued against him should remain in place. The 19-year-old pop star and Disney Channel actress says the man, who has a history of mental illness, had threatened to harm her.
On Friday, January 6, a judge ruled at a hearing that the restraining order, which states Brodnicki must stay at least 100 yards away from the actress, her house and workplace, will remain in place until Jan. 7, 2015. Brodnicki, who did not appear in court, was also ordered to stay away from Gomez's mother and stepfather, Mandy and Brian Teefey, and her assistant, Ashley Cook.
"I do not wish to object to the restraining order against me because I know it is the only thing that will make me stay away from Selena," Brodnicki says in newly-released court documents, obtained by OnTheRedCarpet.com. He signed the papers on Dec. 15, 2011.
He had initially pleaded not guilty to stalking Gomez, who rose to fame with the Disney Channel series "The Wizards of Waverly Place." The show will air its last episode on January 6, the same day as Brodnicki's latest court hearing. Gomez is also known known for her pop music and high-profile relationship with fellow teen singer Justin Bieber.
Brodnicki had told his therapist while he was on a 72-hour mental health hold in September 2011 that he "had conversations with God and entertained thoughts of killing Ms. Gomez," records show. They also say he had traveled to Los Angeles and had visited the star's workplace at least three times last summer, over the course of three months.
The documents say that a doctor had determined that Brodnicki "presented a serious danger of violence" to the singer and had reported his threats to law enforcement officials.
Brodnicki was in 2010 sentenced to three years in prison for cyber-stalking a woman he had met in 2000, when she was 18. He was given credit for serving 661 days in an Illinois jail since his 2008 arrest. Brodnicki, who is from the Chicago area, had previously been locked up and was forced to undergo psychiatric treatment for years after he was arrested on a 2003 stalking charge.
'CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD'
"I've had conversations with God since 2001," Brodnicki told TMZ in a video interview in November. "They locked me up for it and then 28 days later, they set me free and I haven't had conversations with God since. I have no plans except to do exactly what God's will is. Selena Gomez, perhaps unbeknownst to her at her tender age, are in fact the holy chosen ones of God."
"I came out here chiefly for the weather and I thought I may run into Selena, and frankly, I'm not overly concerned whether I ever meet her in the flesh," he added. "Because, it may be, as Scripture says, 'No man has seen the face of God.' Maybe us being together is too much like seeing the face of God."
Gomez also did not attend Friday's hearing and has not commented about the latest ruling against Brodnicki.
The actress recently talked to MTV about the end of "Wizards of Waverly Place." The series debuted on the Disney Channel in 2007. The one-hour finale airs at 8 p.m. ET.
"The show will live on forever and we're all grateful for that," she told the network. "I spent more time with them than my own family. It was amazing."
She also told MTV that she plans to "take a break from music" to concentrate on her film career.
The actress appeared in the romantic comedy "Monte Carlo" last year and is getting ready to shoot the movie "Spring Breakers" with James Franco, Vanessa Hudgens, Emma Roberts and Heather Morris from the FOX show "Glee." The new film is about four college girls who rob a restaurant to pay for a spring break vacation, are sent to jail and get involved with a drug and arms dealer who bails them out.