• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Crews rupture gas line, ignites Ventura fire

Crews repairing the city's water system ruptured a gas line, igniting a fire on Morse Avenue in Ventura Thursday.

January 19, 2012 12:00:00 AM PST
A fire erupted in Ventura on Thursday afternoon after a gas line was ruptured in the city's water system.

The fire started around 1 p.m. in the 1500 block of Morse Avenue. Authorities said the line was ruptured by equipment used by crews repairing the city's water system at the time. Ignition of the fire occurred due to static electricity build-up caused by the free-flowing gas.

Firefighters responded and contained the fire at the source. No injuries were reported.

Business along Morse Avenue between Market and Transport streets were briefly interrupted but remained open. Occupants in the businesses were advised to remain sheltered in place.

Load Comments