• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Norway police admit to slow response in 2011 youth camp massacre

This photo shows a scene from a youth camp shooting massacre in Norway in July 2011.

March 15, 2012 12:00:00 AM PDT
For the first time, police in Norway are admitting they could have responded faster to the shooting massacre last summer, possibly saving more lives.

Police said communication flaws and other mishaps slowed down their response to the youth camp shooting massacre that left 69 people dead last July.

They pointed to the breakdown of an overloaded boat that was carrying SWAT officers to the island where dozens of youth campers were shot and killed. Police also said a helicopter should have been called in sooner.

The confessed gunman, Anders Behring Breivik, is accused of setting off a bomb that killed eight people in Oslo before going on the shooting rampage. He was arrested 1 hour and 20 minutes later, according to an indictment presented last week.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Load Comments