• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Southern California Edison could've reduced windstorm outage, report says

An ABC7 viewer sent in this photo of a tree blocking Green Street in Pasadena, Calif. on Thursday, Dec. 1, 2011.
April 5, 2012 12:00:00 AM PDT
A new report says Southern California Edison customers could have had their electricity restored sooner after last year's powerful windstorms if the power company had a stronger planning process and a better system for assessing damage.

More than 400,000 SCE customers lost power during November's ferocious windstorms. In many cases, some people were left without electricity for up to a week.

The seven-and-a-half days it took to get electricity flowing after the windstorm could have been cut by a day or even two through policy changes, the report said.

The wind knocked down about 250 power poles, 60,000 feet of wire and 100 transformers. Most of the damage was in the San Gabriel Valley. Much of that area gets its power from SCE, which serves nearly 14 million customers over 50,000 square miles of central and Southern California.

Edison officials said they are committed to improving their ability to respond to storm-related outages and are working on ways to get power restored faster.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Load Comments