• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

OTRC: Christian Bale on Colorado shooting: 'Words cannot express the horror I feel'

Christian Bale appears in a scene from the 2012 film 'The Dark Knight Rises.' (Warner Bros.)

Christian Bale, who stars in "The Dark Knight Rises" as Bruce Wayne / Batman, released a statement on Saturday, July 21, about the shooting at a midnight screening of the film in Aurora, Colorado, where a gunman killed at least 12 people and left 59 people injured.

The 38-year-old actor said in his statement obtained by OnTheRedCarpet.com, "Words cannot express the horror that I feel. I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them."

Christopher Nolan, the director of "The Dark Knight Rises," released a statement on July 20 and called the shooting "devastating."

"The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me," part of Nolan's statement said. "Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

James Eagan Holmes, a 24-year-old University of Colorado medical school student, was arrested for the shootings.

On Saturday, July 21, authorities continued their work inside Holmes' apartment, which had been booby trapped with trip wire and explosives. Officials successfully disarmed the trip wire and the first explosive device in the apartment on Saturday morning.

Authorities said the trap was set to kill a person opening the door. Holmes lived on the third-floor of an apartment complex located four miles from the theater where the shooting took place. Other residents within the complex, as well as those in the surrounding homes, were evacuated on Friday, July 20, after Holmes' arrest.

Warner Bros. the studio behind the film, released a statement about the shooting on July 20 saying, "Warner Bros. and the filmmakers are deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."

The studio canceled the Friday night premiere of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Paris as well as other red carpet premieres in Mexico City and Tokyo.

Warner Bros. announced late Friday that it would withhold box office reports for the film out of respect for the victims and their families until Monday. Several other studios including Fox, Disney and Sony are withholding their reports as well.

(Copyright ©2014 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments