• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Compost spontaneously combusts in Reseda, sparking 3 house fires

Compost burst into flames at a residence on the 17300 block of Marlin Place in Reseda at 3:05 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2012.
August 9, 2012 12:00:00 AM PDT
A home compost pile spontaneously combusted into flames in a plastic container in Reseda Wednesday, according to the L.A. City Fire Dept.

The department said 105-degree heat caused the compost to burst into flame at a residence on the 17300 block of Marlin Place at 3:05 p.m. Wednesday.

An ember from the fire floated at least 200 feet away and ignited a wood-shingle roof on a separate residence. That fire spread to two more houses, causing damage totaling $76,000.

More than 36 firefighters extinguished the fires.

No injuries were reported.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Load Comments